Flood Protection


Flood Protection

Since standard homeowners insurance doesn’t cover flooding, it’s important to have protection from the floods associated with hurricanes, tropical storms, heavy rains and other conditions that impact the U.S.

Understanding the importance of flood insurance is crucial for property owners, especially in areas prone to flooding. In 1968, Congress established the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to provide property owners with the means to financially protect themselves against flood damage. Paul Branham Agency can guide you through the NFIP and help you determine how it can protect your property.

Request a free online quote or call us at 1-812-327-0690 to get started

The NFIP Partnership

The NFIP offers flood insurance to homeowners, renters, and business owners in communities participating in the program. These communities have agreed to adopt and enforce ordinances that meet or exceed FEMA’s requirements to reduce the risk of flooding.

Types of Flood Insurance Coverage:

  1. Building Coverage: This includes the insured building and its foundation, electrical and plumbing systems, central air conditioning equipment, furnaces, water heaters, appliances, and permanently installed carpeting over unfinished flooring.
  2. Contents Coverage Covers personal possessions like clothing, furniture, electronics, curtains, portable appliances, and certain types of carpeting not included in building coverage.

Reimbursement Methods for Flood Claims:

  1. Replacement Cost Value (RCV): Applies to single-family, primary residences insured to at least 80% of the building’s replacement cost. It covers the cost to replace damaged property without depreciation.
  2. Actual Cash Value (ACV): Used for all other buildings and personal property. ACV is the replacement cost at the time of loss minus depreciation. Personal property is always valued on an ACV basis.


Understanding your flood insurance options, especially in the context of the NFIP, is vital for adequate protection against flood damage. To learn more about flood insurance and how it can safeguard your property, contact Paul Branham Agency today. We’re here to help you navigate these options and ensure you have the comprehensive coverage you need.